the blind will see

A friend sent me this the other day. I don’t know what it is like to lose one of my five senses. Without sight, the world seems stranger than it already is. I love taking photos and drawing and I don’t know if I will cease to be me if I can no longer do those things. Am I defined by my dis/abilities or something else?

So I tried to go blind.

And my skirt was caught in some wire mesh. Embarrassing.

Here’s the step-by-step guide to experience seeing beyond sight:

1. Blindfold yourself.
Wear shades or tape your eyes shut.
2. Go out in public and make your way in the world.
Go 1 block, 1 hour or 1 roll of film; go with a friend or alone; make up your own process.
3. Photograph things you notice. And, just notice.
What do you notice differently about objects, people, actions, interactions?
4. Embrace the whole experience as much as the picture taking.
Engage. Have a conversation with people you encounter. Take it all in.
5. Share your story.
For each photograph write a caption about your experience - a few lines or several paragraphs if you want.
6. Challenge some friends to do it.
Email them the link: sf0.org/seeingbeyondsight

I will be away at a rented bungalow with 30+ people this weekend. We have the beach and a barbecue pit. I have a Holga and no batteries.

1 Comment:

  1. Anonymous said...
    see you in a few hours time! :)

    i bought something for you for the trip but now since we're going in separate cars..:-/ pfft.

    okay, i need to deal with my laundry and pack!

Post a Comment